Top of the chart of course is “lemon and sugar” as a popular classic, but I was looking for something a little on the wild side. It didn’t take long to get some pretty whacky suggestions. I’m discounting this one… “Petrol! Doesn't taste so good, but so easy to flambé”. So a few interesting suggestions in addition to the gorgeous desert recipes from Waitrose:-
- Roasted vegetables & cream cheese
- Chicken curry
- Bacon, chicken, cheese & sweetcorn
- Chorizo, pepperoni, sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn & salsa
- Banana chocolate & ice-cream
- Melted Mars Bar
- Vermont maple syrup
- Wild blueberries cooked in sugar
- Slivered almonds with runny yogurt and drizzled chocolate sauce
- Lime and gin? G&T pancakes!
- Cinnamon and banana
But what is “Shrove Tuesday”?The time before Easter is known as Lent. During Lent, Christians can give something up for 40 days – a time of reflection and preparation before the Easter celebrations begin. Traditionally, certain foods, or luxuries are given up. Shrove Tuesday (the day before the start of Lent) is a time to ‘clean the soul’. An opportunity to use up any rich foodstuffs that may be laying around the house, like eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting starts. I guess these days, that could also include chorizo, pepperoni and salsa!
So, what flavours of pancake are you going to be cooking up on Tuesday?
Are you planning on giving anything up for Lent?